Reset Google as Firefox Default Search Engine in Address Bar [How-To]
Google search is the default search engine being used in Firefox address bar (in Firefox we can actually start a search by using the address bar or the search box). However, Google search can easily be replaced by Yahoo, Bing or other search engines without our consent after installing some applications/softwares.
6 Steps to reset Google as Firefox default search engine in Firefox address bar
Apparently there’s no easy option in Firefox to restore the modification besides using about:config. Here’s 6 simple steps to reset your Firefox default search in address bar.
- Launch Firefox.
- In the address bar, type about:config and press enter.
- An alert of “This might void your warranty!” will prompt up. Click on “I’ll be careful, I promise!” to proceed.
- In the Filter bar on top, type keyword.url and press enter.
- Double click on the keyword.URL and paste this URL: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=957&bih=456&q=
- Press "OK" button and restart Firefox.
If you want to set your default search engine as Bing, Yahoo or others, here’s the URL to paste in keyword.URL:
- For Bing: http://www.bing.com/results.aspx?q=
- For Yahoo: http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=
- For Ask: http://www.ask.com/web?q=
Want to learn more tips about Firefox? Read 10 absolutely useful tips to browse faster in Firefox.